Boating can be very exciting, fun and relaxing for the whole family, however if you do not take the proper safety precautions it can become very dangerous in a short period of time. Always be prepared and think of safety first. Go over your plans and instructions with family and friends. Make sure they know what you will need assistance with, how to use life jackets, radios, flares, etc… Below we have put together a list of steps and items that may help boaters stay safe and have fun while out on the water.
- Check the tides.
- Check the weather forecast
- File a float plan with a family member, friend, dock master, or a responsible person
- Walk around the boat – inspect for cracks and loose parts
- Open seacocks (if applicable)
- Open engine hatch – inspect hoses, fuel lines, batteries, and clamps.
- Test bilge pumps by lifting float switches.
View original post 169 more words